Domaine Chanson was founded in 1750 and is one of the oldest houses in Beaune. Since the beginning, the principles of the Domaine have remained unchanged; respect for the earth, the vine and the wine.
One of the most prominent features of the winery is the Bastion, one of six fortresses created in the 15th century, as part of a wall surrounding the city of Beaune. Chanson was founded by Simon Verry, a wine negotiant who was permitted to use the Bastion to house his wines. Verry appointed Alexis Chanson headmaster of the house.
In 1829 Alexis Chanson added two additional levels to the Bastion, creating the structure as it stands today. In 1850, 100 years after the founding of the Domaine, the Chanson family took possession of the Bastion and the winery.
The winery underwent a major revitalization in 1999, after Bollinger acquired the house, bringing along their rigorous quality standards, commitment to excellence and elegant touch. Many modern improvements have been adopted, while maintaining the soul and spirit of the past. In fact, maturation cellars are still located in the Bastion to this day.
Chanson wines are known for their structure, elegance and age-worthiness. Since 2000 the vineyards have been farmed organically, of which 45 acres are designated Premier and Grand Cru.